Saturday, July 28, 2012

Quilt along- picking fabric and cutting

So I have a HUGE stash of fabrics.  Some I have bought with I am sure something in mind, and some of it I do actually remember why I had bought it.  This fabric is some that I had bought last fall with EVERY intention of making a quilt.  Well I am now almost out of room in my fabric stash, so now it is time to make this quilt... So a quilt along anyone? 

I liked the ragged quilt my sister had made and had also seen a quilt that just had a whole bunch of mis-matched squares.  These are the two quilts that I used as an inspiration for my quilt.

Materials:
-1.5 yards of 7 different colors of fabric (I used four solid colors and three fabrics with a design)- total of 10.5 yards with a little left over
- 3/8 yard of coordinating fabric for binding
- batting (I like the 100% cotton batting)
- 3 5/8 yards for backing


 I want a quilt that will be a good sized lap quilt- so about a 48" x 64".   As with my sisters ragged quilt that has ragged squares, I want it a little more intrecit and have it as ragged triangles. 

For the first week, I cut all of my triangles.  The large squares measured 8.5" x 8.5"; medium squares were 6.5" x 6.5"; and the small squares were 4.5" x 4.5".  I needed 7 squares of each size and each color.  I then cut each of them in 1/2 to make 14 triangles of each size and each color- total of 96 (you will only need 13 triangles for two of the colors of each size).  With each of the large squares measuring 8.5" x 8.5" with a 1/4" seam allowance, I will have a quilt with 6 squares along the top and 8 down the side, this quilt will measure 48" x 64"- slightly smaller, but still a good size.







Next week I will be working on mixing and matching the triangles to get 96 stacks of triangles.  Lots of sewing ahead!

Be sure to keep all of the little scraps- they will make a great quilt later... another project!

No comments:

Post a Comment